Wednesday, November 30, 2011

3 Months and Counting...

Em turned 3 months on Thanksgiving and I can hardly believe how fast it has gone by! (I know, big surprise to hear that from a mom!!!) 

But seriously!

It's hard to believe that Mads was this old when I was starting to get my classroom ready two years ago!    Although I miss school, I can hardly imagine what it would be like to be going back right now.  To say that I am thankful for this time at home is a complete understatement! Some days are a little too crazy for my liking and make me want to pull my hair out, but overall I wouldn't change it for the world.  I am so thankful for my job and the opportunity I have had to work part-time and I can honestly say that it has made me that much more appreciative to stay home this year!  I loved working, but I love being at home.  I have a huge respect for working moms and their ability to take care of their family.  

I often run into people that have strong opinions about mothering and how it should be done (who doesn't?!?!) and one thing that I've noticed over the last few years is that each person handles/adapts differently.  I don't think it's a sin to be a working mother and I don't think it's a sin to be a SAHM (Yeah, a fancy acronym for stay-at-home-mom).  I do, however, think that whatever situation I may find myself in must be done with the right heart.  I have literally heard christians debate that women should NOT work outside the home if they have children.  They've quoted scripture in an attempt to state their case that it is NOT Biblical.  Wow.  When this debate comes up, my heart clings to Proverbs 31:

Who can find a virtuous and capable wife She is worth more than precious rubies. Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life. She will not hinder him but help him all her life. 

She finds wool and flax and busily spins it. She is like a merchant's ship; she brings her food from afar. She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day's work for her servant girls. She goes out to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. 

She is energetic and strong, a hard worker. She watches for bargains; her lights burn late into the night. Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber. 

She extends a helping hand to the poor and opens her arms to the needy. 

She has no fear of winter for her household because all of them have warm clothes. She quilts her own bedspreads. She dresses like royalty in gowns of finest cloth. 

Her husband is well known, for he sits in the council meeting with the other civic leaders. 

She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants. 

She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs with no fear of the future. When she speaks her words are wise, and kindness is the rule when she gives instruction. She carefully watches all that goes on in her household and does not have to bear the consequences of laziness. 

Her children stand and bless her. Her husband praises her: "There are many virtuous women in the world, but you surpass them all!"

Charm is deceptive and beauty does not last, but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised. Reward her for all she has done. Let her deeds publicly declare her praise. (vs. 10-30)

This beautiful woman clearly works for the Lord.  I believe each mother and wife has to find that place in her own family and in her own heart.  The same situation is not right for every family.  God has called us all to different places and to do different work for Him.  My prayer is that I will always be doing what God wants me to do, serving where he wants me to serve. 

Lately, my work has been load after load of laundry and cleaning up chunks of four different colors of playdough all mashed into a black glob out of the carpet...

it's glorious, what can I say?

Things aren't all chocolate and roses around here, but I continue to wake up with a grateful heart because we have a roof over our head, a warm home, food in the cupboards and a healthy family!

God is good. 


We have a lot going on in our home/family, but I hate to claim that we are busy.  I've always felt that being busy is an attitude that distracts us from seeing what's right in front of us. I never want to be too busy that I miss God's voice. I never want to be too busy that I don't stop and help when someone needs it, whether they live under my roof or not. 

And with that... here is what our THREE MONTH OLD is up to!!!

He is SO, SO strong and he loves to stand as much as we will let him.  He has been rolling over for a few weeks now.  He's gone from back to tummy a handful of times (Madi and I watched him do it on the ground a couple of times in a row) and he rolls from tummy to back ALL the time.  He sleeps on his tummy (I know-major "no, no") and every time he wakes up he rolls to his back and talks or cries until he gets picked up.  It's really sweet.  He has a super strong neck and has been able to hold his head really well from day one.  

His new favorite toy?

The exosaucer...

It's the perfect spot to stand and watch all of the crazy things his sister is up to!


And for kicks and giggles, a little comparison of our two kiddos.  Emmitt is 3 months and 5 days in these pictures and Madelyn is 4 months and 24 days in these pictures (I know, I'm a detail person...). 

    

This is one of my all-time favorite pictures of Madi and I thought of it when I was taking these pictures of Em... she certainly has him beat in the cheek department (and baldness factor)!



 


Ninety-five percent of the time, this is the look people get from Emmitt.  He just likes to check things out, particularly with his brow furrowed...

**Side note: Matt has often had people comment that he looks "upset" when he is perfectly fine and I have a feeling Emmitt might have that same problem. It's just a serious look these men give off. ;)**

And of course I saved my favorite for last... this is just one of the smiles that melts my heart everyday. He's so. incredibly. sweet.


I'm thankful for this job of mothering that God has given me and I pray that I can do it with the right heart every single day. I'm also thankful for the wonderful example of a mother that I had. She certainly made it look easy though!

2 comments:

  1. He's so cute Jules!! And I love those pics of Madi, how time has flown! I am so glad to hear you're enjoying being a SAHM :). Can't wait to get together over winter break, we miss you guys!! And we can't wait to finally meet Emmitt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Love it. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete