Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oregon Strawberries...

There's really nothing like Oregon strawberries, and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way! When we were little we used to get so excited when the Little Red Barn would come out for the summer. Not only was it our first sign of summer days, it also meant delicious melt-in-your-mouth berries and homemade strawberry jam!!! Mmmm... delicious!

We've been to the barn a few times this summer and the berries were certainly delicious, but they aren't cheap! And, we sort of eat them fast! I've wanted to do some u-picking for the last few years, and was finally inspired when I read a friends post on FB about how she charged out into the fields with her 6 children (ages 3 mos. - 7ish?!?) and picked up a storm! I figured if she could do it, then I could probably drag my toddler and pregnant self out there and be somewhat successful as well! =)

Thankfully I have other friends just as ambitious as I am and thus the journey did not have to be forged alone! Ramie and Judson agreed to come along and I think we can all agree, although not the cleanest of things we've done together it was well worth every last berry... even the green and rotten ones the kids tried picking! ;)


For the record, she did not pick these berries she was just about to dig her little hands into my bucket for another berry!


This was probably only number 5... out of about 35...



Judson had just as much fun! He was quite the little worker too. He took the liberty of filling my bucket full of green and rotten berries for me when I went to grab the camera! ;)


Gotta love the bootie...


We attempted to have the flags be "off-limits", but that was a battle we just decided wasn't worth picking after a while... don't judge.



Burried in strawberries!


Love these two! And especially the dirty face! ;)



And the final outcome?

2 third-trimester pregnant ladies + 2 toddlers = a huge mess and 27 pounds of strawberries!

Hey, it was the perfect opportunity for a little photo-op, and at 85 cents/pound you really can't beat it! This giant tote full cost a little over $12.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some work to do...


Is it raspberry season yet? =)

1 comment:

  1. I commented on this once (or tried to) and have no idea what happened. I may be slightly disgusted at how on top of blogging you are, but mostly I just love these pictures...and you guys! Thanks for the unforgettable adventure. :)

    ReplyDelete