Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Camping Trip #1...

We've started yet another annual tradition with our little family and this was the second consecutive year (third time) we were able to set aside a weekend and go camping with our good friends the Moodys! You may remember last year's fishing post which was all about Madi's first fishing experience while camping at Breitenbush River with the Moodys.  Ramie also documented the weekend much more thoroughly, as usual. I had good intentions, but never got around to it... also, as usual... ;)

Anyway, us girls marked off July 13th-15th and let the boys come up with our destination.  We took a gamble (again) and headed to Ice Cap Campground at the top of the McKenzie pass.  We camped there together four years ago (obviously sans children) and loved it, but we weren't able to stay for very long, so we were looking forward to heading back.  As it turns out, we were able to find the perfect spot that afternoon as we watched the rest of the campground quickly fill up.

We all had a blast, especially the two oldest children, and decided next time we'll definitely be going for three nights instead of two. So. Much. Work for just one full day! 

Sometimes I revel at the fact that camping is actually as fun as it is.  When I think about all the work it takes to get everything packed up just to head out into the wilderness and make things even more difficult, like cooking, or going to the bathroom, heck even washing hands is quite the task. (I shall pause here and give credit where credit is due: my lovely husband does pretty much all the "camping" packing, I just grocery shop and pack the kids' clothes.) This year, I was really dreading it! Emmitt was on the verge of walking, but pretty much preferred to crawl anywhere and everywhere, especially if it meant he could put something he wasn't supposed to in his mouth. I dreaded hauling him around on my hip all day and keeping him away from the fire. Seriously, I was wishing I could go back to 8 months pregnant and one child, just for the weekend. Thankfully, it wasn't as terrible as I had imagined.  I learned to relax a little and mostly drew the line when live objects entered a body cavity...

But somehow, it really was fun.  It's fun to pretend like life is simple, to listen to the river rippling all day long and to experience the great outdoors to its fullest... 

And fine, I'll just say it.  It's the most fun once the kids have passed out in the tent and we get to sit around the campfire eating and drinking whatever the heck we want. 

Yup, that's definitely my favorite part. 

Although watching our kiddos enjoy themselves as thoroughly as they did was pretty darn fun too...

It's weird our children are old enough to bring their own bikes along, but they are and this is pretty much how they chose to spend the weekend: Judson riding Pinkalicious and Madi pushing her baby around in the baby trike...

These two oldest children have very similar personalities.  They are great friends, but they definitely both like things to be done their own way.  We figure it's good for 'em. 



Emmitt and Cooper spent the majority of their weekend in these amazing packs! Yup, we were totally matching (not on purpose) the first day. I even had a purple tank top on top that I had already de-layered.  I guess we just spent too many "twin" days together at school. =)


Sweet Cooper LOVED getting dirty, but then again who didn't!?! =)









As you can see, not a single one of our children cared about getting dirty.  Nope, not one bit.  At one point dirt was raining down on them and they couldn't have been happier.  Unfortunately, this campground tore out all of the water faucets since we camped there last so it's technically a "dry campground" (who does that, right?!?!). So... we did our best to brush 'em off and strip 'em down. Yeah, they were filthy. 



The Dads and their babes.  These guys snuck off and mountain biked the McKenzie River trail on Saturday during naps. Lucky guys! Although I probably would have died, so I'm technically not complaining...

Nate and Ramie have an awesome fishing boat that they pulled along and we spent Saturday evening out on Clear Lake.  It was GORGEOUS!





Sunday morning we took a short hike (about 3 miles) up to some falls and Madi hiked the ENTIRE way! She loved it and was quite the trooper. She and her "map"...




We took our time breaking down camp on Sunday.  We let the kids "nap" and Ramie and I ventured down to the reservoir.  We headed out of there around seven that night and stopped for pizza at Giovanni's on our way home.  A delicious way to end a wonderful trip, if I may say so myself...


This was our creative way to quarantine the children. Ahem, I mean "entertain" the children while the men broke down camp.

Thanks for your sweet friendship, guys! I can only imagine the adventures we're bound to get into in the years to come! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment